The UWU Executive Board has reflected upon the results of the referendum last year affirming our status as an independent union in terms of our governance and structure.
When we first embarked upon the ‘Future Conference’ we were unsure of whether it would be effective. Our goal was to create a process that was based on meaningful member participation and create member confidence in the outcome.
All feedback from participants was very positive and the Executive Board was equally pleased with the level of participation and the level of overall member engagement.
Therefore, we are going to use the very same process, as affirmed by the membership at our December 2020 AGM, to assist us in making recommendations to the membership on amendments to our Constitution and Bylaws.
Future Conference 2.0 Delegates
The Executive Board has determined that for all units other than the BCGEU, the Unit Chair or their designate have the right to attend the conference.
There shall be two UWU Equity Delegates as determined by the UWU Equity Committee.
The BCGEU Unit Committee (or their designate) will attend. In addition, due to the size of the Unit, additional delegates representing Field Offices and Departments will attend. The total delegate count for BCGEU will be 16.
The BCGEU Unit Committee and Stewards shall facilitate delegates being selected on the basis of a single delegate from the following groups:
- One each from Field Services: Region 1, LMAO, FVAO, Region 3, Region 4 = 5 delegates. (Note – the OSH Rep assigned to your area office/region should be included in your group.)
- One each from the following Departments: Advocacy, Organizing, RIS, Negs, Member Benefits, Administration, and Facilities/Finance= 7.
Delegate names and (non-work) contact information should be submitted to email@example.com.
Future Conference 2.0 Details
Once again the Future Conference will be held via Zoom on the following dates:
- Monday, April 26, 2021 – Deadline to submit your delegates name and contact information.
- Wednesday, May 12, 2021 – Day 1 – Introductions, Presentations, Q & A, Small Group Discussion.
- Wednesday, May 19, 2021 – Day 2 – Debate and Recommendation Development.
Your Union will provide delegates an agenda for the conference in advance and should include any arranged speakers and some core questions the Executive Board is putting before delegates.
Questions or Concerns
Monique Wemhof is currently serving as a Business Agent for the UWU and is the primary organizer for the event. If you have any questions or concerns please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, you are welcome to contact any member of the Executive Board and our contact information is on your UWU Website at www.bcuwu.ca.