The B.C. Union Workers Union requires a labour relations officer for a three month temporary 0.5 FTE posting. The term
may be extended. The work would be primarily remote and subject to the successful candidate’s schedule and operational
requirements. Depending on the successful candidate’s circumstances, the position will either be contractual or through
union book-off with the candidate’s employer.
Renumeration will be as follows:
- If the position is filled through union book-off, then the candidate will be compensated at their regular rate
- If the position is filled through contract, then the candidate will be compensated between $68.26 and $73.36
per hour (depending on the candidate’s experience), plus 30% in lieu of benefits.
- Assist executive officers, stewards and membership in the day-to-day administration of their union and
- Advising the union on union policy and procedures;
- The handling of grievances up to and including supporting bargaining units, stewards, and executive officers
with grievance representation. This would include potentially assisting with or handling formal arbitration
- Supporting bargaining committees with collective agreement negotiations as required; and
- Engage members and recruit activists.
- Experience in the trade union movement is essential;
- Experience with representing unions and members at grievance formal arbitrations and bargaining;
- Ability to work with union leadership and employer representatives;
- Ability to prepare concise written reports and handle a large volume of correspondence;
- Excellent interpersonal communications, including the ability to speak in public;
- Must have an understanding of the goals and values of the labour movement; and
Demonstrated ability to develop activist skills and maintain an effective working relationship with union and community
Travel is required, therefore, applicants must hold a valid B.C. Driver’s License.
The UWU supports employment equity. Indigenous workers, workers of colour, women, 2SLGBTQI+ workers, and workers
with disabilities are encouraged to apply for positions with the UWU.
Interested applicants can send their applications by e-mail at email@example.com. Applications will be considered
until February 20, 2024 at noon.
Expected start date: TBD, subject to the successful candidate’s availability.